JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Author Spotlight - Astrid93

Clandestine

Adelaide and her father have always lived a sheltered life, constantly moving from town to town, hidden from the eyes of others; until now.

Supernatural hunters have tracked them down and Adelaide is confronted with a world that has purposely been hidden from her. Despite the evidence of Adelaide’s magic powers there is no record of her ever being born and she has to prove she is not a threat in order to keep her life. With the help of an unexpected hand she slowly begins to learn who and what she is and that it comes with a heavy price.








Interview

1. Please tell the readers a bit about yourself.

My name is Astrid, but amongst my English friends I’m also called Martie. I’m a twenty-year-old girl who has a love-hate relationship with the cold and resides just beneath the Arctic Circle, also known as Norway. And before you ask; no we do not have polar bears where I live (you’d be surprised how often people ask me this on the internet).

I absolutely love writing and I want to study Creative Writing abroad at some point and one day I hope to be published!

2. What types of books do you write?

I write Young Adult Fantasy and I have a weakness towards the dystopian part of the genre. I also have a few stories that are Teen Romance because I want to experiment with different genres, although Fantasy holds a special place in my heart.

3. How many books have you written?

I have only completed one, but have several others in the works, Clandestine being really close to finished right now so that’s exciting for me since it has slowly become my baby.

4. What movie and/or book are you looking forward to this year?

Too many! I’m an absolute movie geek and so when books I love becomes movies they automatically go on the list so Vampire Academy, Divergent and Mockingjay are three movies I am looking forward to for sure! As well as American Hustle (it doesn’t premiere until March here in Norway). X-men Days of Future Past, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and The Hobbit; There and Back Again! There are probably more…

When it comes to books Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead is very high on my list (the ending of the Indigo Spell messed so much with my fangirl feels!). City of Heavenly Fire (Cassandra Clare) is also one, and the conclusion to the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness; The Book of Life. I’m a sucker for the fantasy series as you may have noticed…

5. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

On Wattpad I read almost all genres (even tried horror, not doing that again, it messed with my head so bad!), but at home my bookshelves are dominated by Fantasy with only a few exceptions (I do not consciously plan this, it just turns out that way).

6. If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?

1. A notebook
2. A pen
3. A dragon

7. Are you considering a sequel?

Yes, definitely! There are so many layers and things I want to do with the plot and characters in Clandestine that it will end up spanning either two or three books. 

8. What inspired you to become a writer?

It started out as therapy for me, writing poems and such, which later developed into story writing and I have loved it ever since! 

The first conscious thought I ever had of it was when I was reading my first full length English book six years ago and I absolutely fell in love with the language and I remember admiring the author and thinking how amazing it must be to have such a talent to be able to write an entire book… and now that admiration has become the thing I love most and want to do with my life!


Excerpt

Trip suddenly has a dagger in his hand, thankfully it’s still in a sheath and Kaidan is staring at me with a newfound interest, “From where?”

“What?” I ask.

Trip glares at me before continuing, “You were about to say we were from somewhere or someplace, I’d like to hear you say it.”

“No I wasn’t, and what the heck are you doing with that knife? Put that thing away!”

“It’s a dagger, and no,” Trip answers and then turns slightly towards Kaidan but still keeps an eye on me. “We should take her with us, she could be a threat.”

For some reason, this makes my blood boil. “So now I’m the threat? Am I the one standing here with a knife in my hand? I don’t think so! And who the hell are you, pointing that thing at me just because you’re some state guardian from another dimension or whatever! And you come here and call me a threat? I hadn’t even used my powers on purpose until you guys wrecked everything!” At the end I am openly shouting and I have to take a break to breathe and they both look at me as if they’re afraid. “What?!” I shout.

“What’s your name again?” Kaidan asks, his voice the epitome of calm.

“Adelaide! My freaking name is Adelaide!”

“Okay, so, Adelaide. Do you always do that?”

“Do what?”

Trip cuts him off, “He just wants to know if you always light on fire when you’re angry.”

“What do you mea-“ I cut myself off as I look down to see the flames that are burning brightly up my arm and that’s when I scream.

1 comment: